Tuesday 14 January 2014

Genre Research

  • I have to decide what type of genre I am basing my magazine on. As most of the covers I have picked for my favourites have a female starring in them, I have decided to go for a Pop/Indie genre, mainly because I can find many artists that I like who fit in that section. This type of genre chosen is quite quirky, so I will be taking note on the type of clothes they wear and looking at one of their music videos. 
  • I have picked 3 female artists from my chosen genre as examples:
1. Marina & The Diamonds (Marina Diamandis):
  • Background: Rose to fame after reaching number two in the BBC Sound of 2010, her music style varies from keyboard-based ballads to up-tempo, new wave-style songs with a full band backing. Diamandis calls herself a 'DIY musician' and portrays her sound as alternative to mainstream pop music.
"Her songs are hard to fathom. They veer between simple keyboards-based ballads and more upbeat and catchy, quirky new wave-inflected numbers enhanced by percussion, guitar and drums." - Source
  • Public Image: She is noticed also for her Fashion style, she has mentioned that she sometimes makes her own outfits with clothes bought from the charity shops. ..Continued
  • Image within Music: During the release of her first studio album, 'The Family Jewels', her style was quite different to what it was during her second album. 'Electra Heart', according to Diamandis, is the 'antithesis of everything that I stand for and the point of introducing her (starring persona), and building a whole concept of American ideology.' For this type of era, it began when the album was released, and ended with the last 'Part' music-video was released, called 'Electra Heart'. She called the series 'The Archetypes', which saw the 'death' of her fictional character, and ending the era altogether. She is currently working on her third studio album, it is unknown to what her style/image may look like next.



2. Charli XCX (Charlotte Aitchison):

  • Background: First album was released in 2008, then was signed to 'This is Music' and 'IAMSOUND Records' in 2010. Her major label studio album was released in April 2013, called 'True Romance'. She is commonly known for featuring on the Number 1. single, 'I Love It' by Icona Pop, she also wrote the song.
  • Public Image: Her clothing choices ranges from clashing block colours with patterned skirts, her style is different in a sense that she doesn't particularly follow the mainstream culture. Her clothing choices is something I can incorporate into the decision making for my first shoot and try and put together clothing I think will work with one another.
  • Image within Music: 




3. Foxes (Louisa Rose Allen):

  • Background: Best known for featuring on Zedd's song 'Clarity', which peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100. Her career began in 2012, she has also featured on a song with Fall Out Boy. Her first EP was released in October 2013, then a full studio album followed in November 2013.
  • Public Image: Her stage name, Foxes, said that her 'mother had described a 'haunting and beautiful' dream in which foxes ran down their street howling.' She settled with the name Foxes and thinks that it is fitting because it reflected in her music, E.G. Her first single was called 'Like Foxes Do' and many of her next songs were based about animals. Her style is largely simplistic, a lot of Primary and pure colours in her clothes, but put together on her in a unique way. 
  • Image within Music: 
Thoughts: I think that these particular artists that I have picked to look into have their own unique styles which I can take ideas from. They wear simple but elegant clothes which don't look too expensive or much time to put together in my own way.


1 comment:

  1. This post requires more detail. Focus on their fashion, lyrics, sound, image etc.

    ReplyDelete