Friday 17 January 2014

Relevant Fashion/Styling Associated with Genre

Indie/Pop Styling/Fashion:
  • The type of artists that I am basing my magazine on can do from one extreme to another regarding fashion, but still seem to fit in with the genre that their music is under. They all seem to stick to a minimalistic, but simple clothing style, to which I am going to take one of the three artists I looked at earlier and analyse the type of clothes that they wear:
Marina & The Diamonds:
  • She tries to create a vintage look mixed with the modern day, this is regarding the type of theme her music is in. E.G. The Family Jewels album she had dark hair, art pop movement type clothing, however, during the Electra Heart era, her second album, it changed drastically to quite a sophisticated look, although sticking with the pop/indie/electronic twist.
"B: Define your personal style in three words
M: Feminine, Americana and Pop art." - Source /2010.
marina and the Ddiamonds  
  

"WOULD YOU SAY YOUR PERSONAL STYLE HAS EVOLVED SINCE THE LAST RECORD?
Yeah, definitely. Especially as it’s almost like you’re just representing feminine character types. So even though you’re being yourself, the perceptions of these character types come from your own brain, it’s like a magnified version of each one, so like the Homewrecker, or the Teen Idol or the Primadonna. My style has changed hugely. Before I was inspired by Pop Art and loud clashing clothes, now I want everything to be so twee and pretty, because that’s what I'm excited by at the moment. " - Source /2012
Indie/Pop:
  • The term 'indie' refers to an artist that isn't particularly part of the mainstream culture, but is making music that is recognised for being unique and outside the stereotypical routes. Indie artists are concerned more with self-expression than commercial considerations. E.G. Marina wanting to change her image regarding the way her music was at, from Pop Art to Twee and pretty. However, in regards to Pop, I think that this artist, for instance, includes both genres of music which involves distorted sounds based around Pop-song conventions in a way of creating authenticity.
Another example, Indie/Pop artist, Sky Ferreira:

INDIE POP SINGER SKY FERREIRA MAISON KITSUNE SS 2014 LOOKBOOK NEW WAVE THEMED INSPIRED COLLECTION SHORT BLEACH BLONDE BOB SHORT HAIR CAT EYE LINER NEW ALBUM NIGHT TIME MY TIME YOU'RE NOT THE ONE NEUTRAL PRINT BLAZER JACKET PRINT COLLARED BUTTON UP SHIRT PINK LIPSTICK  LIPS NUDE TAN CAT EYE SUNGLASSES RED BLACK WHITE SILK HEAD SCARF TIE Henrik Purienne INDIE POP SINGER SKY FERREIRA MAISON KITSUNE SS 2014 LOOKBOOK NEW WAVE THEMED INSPIRED COLLECTION SHORT BLEACH BLONDE BOB SHORT HAIR CAT EYE LINER NEW ALBUM NIGHT TIME MY TIME YOU'RE NOT THE ONE BRIGHT RED KNIT SCARF SILK HEAD SCARF TIE LACE UP BOOTS SOCKS Henrik Purienne

Re-creating:
  • I think that as a way of renovating these type of styles and make them my own would be by sitting down with my chosen model and discussing what her opinions are on my ideas and theme of my magazine in hand, not only that, suggest colour schemes, make-up choices and hair all in a way that the model can think of ways to style herself the way I have asked her to. To make the process a lot easier, I collected together a bunch of pictures with types of hair styles/make-up which I think will be easy enough to re-create for the first shoot. My chosen model is accustomed to this type of thing, so I think that it won't be a hard process to collect certain pieces of clothing. I also don't think that I'll have a problem putting together due to the fact that my chosen theme/genre is partly seen through self-expression, and that I'm not afraid to experiment with my model, let her try things on so that I have a visual image for what looks right and what doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. Very good post, you will need to evaluate how easy you can recreate these looks. For example do you have access to a suitable model? Do you have access to suitable clothing, make up and hair design.

    ReplyDelete