Saturday 18 January 2014

Research on Graphic Designers

Gemma Correll
  • Gemma is a British illustrator that began posting her work on social media, which then landed her a job at Hallmark in the US. She has also designed a T-Shirt for Urban Outfitters, and also has her own independent shop. She has a unique styling of illustration which caught my attention and has inspired me due to the fact that her drawings are simple and don't just relate to children. The illustrations on the clothes can influence the type of clothing that my model will wear on the cover of my magazine due to the fact that Indie/Pop genre is semi-mainstream, and as Correll has a following on social networks, would bring an impact on the fashion/illustration industries.
  


David Carson
  • Carson is an American Graphic Designer and Art director, he is best known for his innovative magazine designs, and the use of experimental typography. He was the Art director for the magazine Ray Gun, in which he employed much of the typographic and layout style for which he is known for. His work is also best known as the 'grunge typography' which was deemed popular to the audience he was advertising to. Carson left Ray Gun to develop his own studio in NYC. I think that this type of Graphic design could influence my chosen magazine genre due to the fact that he is unique and the 'grunge' theme is quite mainstream, to which so is Indie/Pop, so the two could work well together.


Conclusion: 
  • I think that by studying these two Graphic Designer/Illustrator, I can realistically think about what type of designs of theirs I can incorporate into my magazine. Realistically, I think David Carson is more suited for the type of magazine that I want to create due to the fact that after looking at 'Interview' magazine's title, I want to go for that sort of 'hand written' font and this would most definitely give me inspiration for that.

1 comment:

  1. Try adding some words on which of these you prefer and which you realistically feel you can emulate.

    ReplyDelete